MEMS Industry Group Invites Press to First MEMS TechZone, with Akustica, Bosch Sensortec, Freescale Semiconductor, VTI Technologies, WiSpry Co-exhibiting
2012 International CES
PITTSBURGH–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) devices, miniature, intelligent machines about the thickness of a human hair, are changing the way that consumers interact with mobile electronics. MEMS frees users to toggle between landscape and portrait mode on a mobile handset, gives them the sensation of “turning” a page on an e-reader or tablet PC, immerses them in video game play through more realistic motion capture, and augments their reality as they walk down a city street in search of a good restaurant. Joined by some of its most innovative member-companies, MEMS Industry Group (MIG), invites the media to explore the future of MEMS-enabled functionality at the 2012 International CES® (January 10-13, Las Vegas, NV).
“We are living in a digital world, where the mobile device reigns supreme”
“We are living in a digital world, where the mobile device reigns supreme,” explained Karen Lightman, managing director of MEMS Industry Group. “Consumers cannot seem to get enough features on mobile handsets, tablets, game controllers, television remotes or e-readers. Entertainment and technology are practically synonymous, and we are only just beginning to realize what is possible in consumer electronics. And a whole new class of ‘quality of life’ applications designed to allow people to live healthier, more independent lives for a longer period of time, is emergent. The common enabling intelligence among such diverse applications is MEMS.”
MEMS TechZone Debuts at 2012 CES
MIG is sponsoring MEMS TechZone, a new area of the 2012 International CES exhibition showcasing companies that are driving the adoption of MEMS in consumer products. MIG’s co-exhibitors include:
- Akustica, Inc., a Bosch Group company providing the world’s smallest single-chip MEMS microphones for improved voice capture in laptops, tablets, mobile handsets, headsets and other electronic products;
- Bosch Sensortec GmbH, a Bosch Group company delivering geomagnetic sensors, triaxial accelerometers, barometric pressure sensors and a comprehensive software portfolio for consumer and industrial applications;
- Freescale Semiconductor, a global provider of intelligent sensors, logic and customizable software for smart portable electronics, quality of life/biomedical systems, computer peripherals, wireless devices and automotive electronics;
- VTI Technologies, a leading supplier of acceleration, inclination, angular rate and pressure sensor solutions for automotive, medical, instrument and consumer applications; and
- WiSpry, Inc., a fabless semiconductor company that brings significant performance improvements, size and cost reduction benefits to mobile handset manufacturers and network operators through its dynamically tunable radio frequency (RF) MEMS devices.
“Harnessing the Power of MEMS” Conference Session
MIG’s Karen Lightman will moderate a conference session, “Connecting the Real World with the Digital World: Harnessing the Power of MEMS,” featuring industry executives whose companies are changing the very nature of consumer products. Featured panelists will be:
- Jeff Hilbert, President & Founder, WiSpry;
- Frank Melzer, PhD, General Manager and CEO of Bosch Sensortec;
- Seyed Paransun, Vice President and General Manager, Sensor and Actuator Solutions Division, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.; and
- Scott Smyser, Vice President & General Manager North America & Co-Founder, Timing Devices, VTI Technologies, Inc.
Schedule of Events
MIG Managing Director Karen Lightman and executives from MEMS TechZone and the MEMS conference session are available for interview during the 2012 International CES, January 10-13, Las Vegas, NV. MEMS TechZone is located at the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC) South Hall 2, Ground Level, Booth #25218.
The MEMS conference session, “Harnessing the Power of MEMS,” will take place January 11, 2012, 10:30-11:30 a.m., LVCC, North Hall, Room N254.
MIG also invites the press to enjoy a networking breakfast sponsored by STMicroelectronics, January 11, 7-9 a.m., Las Vegas Hilton, Second Floor, Conference Room 7. Advance registration is required; please contact MIG for an invitation.
To schedule a tour of MEMS TechZone, attend the MEMS conference session or register for MIG’s networking breakfast, please contact Maria Vetrano, media relations, MEMS Industry Group, tel: +617.876.2770, email: maria[at]vetrano.com.
ABOUT MEMS INDUSTRY GROUP
MEMS Industry Group (MIG) is the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets. More than 130 companies comprise MIG, including Analog Devices, Applied Materials, Robert Bosch GmbH, Epson Electronics America, Freescale Semiconductor, GE, Honeywell, HP, Intel, InvenSense, Nokia, Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, STMicroelectronics and Texas Instruments. For more information, visit: www.memsindustrygroup.org.
MEMS Industry Group and the MEMS Industry Group logo are registered trademarks of MEMS Industry Group. All other product and company names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
MEMS Industry Group
Karen Lightman, 412-390-1644
Maria Vetrano, 617-876-2770